Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Bug's Bedroom Makeover

My DD just turned 2 in October and I was determined to get her moved out of our bedroom where she has been since she was born. We only have a 3 bedroom house and my son has his own room and with my sewing projects and just overabundance of crap that we were storing, I had filled the third bedroom. So i gave up my 'sewing room' so my Bug could have a room of her own. Here is how it was painted before...



Yes it was a baby boy's bedroom. I still can't get over why the people we bought the house from painted the entire interior of the house with FLAT paint...when they had kids. You can't clean flat paint btw. Marker, pencil, crayons, fingerprints, food, you name it, it will not come off.
Anyways, I got all my fabric and sewing notions all tubbed up and stored in the garage and prepared to turn the room GIRLY. I had been drooling over a comforter set for her for a long time with no hope of ever owning it myself because of its ungodly pricetag, when one day I got this bright idea to google. So I did...and low and behold I found it on a website for a fraction of the retail cost...like a MINISCULE fraction, so I bought it for her birthday. The Twin set retailed for $265 and I scored it for $48...the entire set. Sheets, shams, dust ruffle, EVERYTHING. Sorry guys, they are all sold out now on the bargain site (I just checked).
So once the set arrived, I started paint hunting. I knew I wanted her room pink with a darker shade on the bottom and light pink on top. It was HARD to match these colors believe it or not but I did it...with a little oops thrown in in the beginning.



The pink looked darker to me than the light pink I imagined. My MIL was here visiting and keeping the kiddos out of my hair while I attacked this room and she kept reassuring me that once we got it all on the walls, it would look great. So I kept going, and soon the forboding feeling of swimming in pepto over took me. It didn't get better once I got the dark pink up, it was sickeningly overwhelming.



See what I mean. So back to the drawing board. I went back to Lowes and took a pillowcase with me to match up and FINALLY found ONE shade of pink out of all of their options, that even came close to matching...and it was perfect. So, another gallon of paint later, I began fixing "The Bismal". I'll explain that one later.



Much better.



Awww...her first big ole nap in her new bedroom.



Now, I plan to build her the Bankable Bookcase Knock-off and a Twin sized Farmhouse Bed with a Trundle for when my niece comes to visit, or if I ever need to stay in there with her.
Once I get her a twin sized bed, (yeah we still don't have the comforter set put to use because we don't have a twin sized bed...YET), I will be building her 2 cubbie shelves that when placed back to back, will be a perfect fit for her toddler mattress to become a little lounging/reading space, or just a place to sit. If we ever decide to get rid of the mattress, the shelves can be stacked and I will have 4 large cubbies to put stuff in. But since she is still a tiny thing, we aren't in a big hurry to get the bed built...the bookcase yes, but not the bed. But first my son has requested we fix his room up the way he wants it for his Christmas present.

*Regarding "The Bismal", my mom had once attempted to paint her bedroom mauve and I think she bought the exact same shade of pink that I originally used on the top half of this bedroom. Her room was dubbed "The Bismal" since it was Pepto-Bismal pink. We teased her and teased her..even after it was repainted light purple, we still teased her. I could just hear her laughing her head off at me from the Great Beyond while I was making the same oops with my daughter's room, that she made with her own. I just wish she were here to laugh at me for real.

2 comments:

  1. Love the amended colours and the napping pic! Can't wait to see the Bankable..Are you painting or staining it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on painting it white since the rest of her furniture is already white. I figure it would be easier than re-doing everything...at least for now. =)

    ReplyDelete