Monday, January 3, 2011

Farmhouse Doll Bunk Bed

My IL's came to visit for a week after Christmas and brought my niece who is C's age. Since they live in another state, it is hard to buy for her since I don't know what toys she has already or what she wants. So when she got here, she had these 2 baby dolls that go with her everywhere and sleep tucked into the bed with her. She adores these dolls...so I decided to build them a bed. I had seen the plans on Ana White's website for the Farmhouse Doll Bed and SOMEWHERE I had seen somebody build a bunk bed using the plans but I could not find it anywhere so I had to wing it.
I made two headboards and two foot boards and two frames using the specs she uses on her site. I had to do a little trimming because the 4 leg posts were going to keep the top pieces on the headboards from being able to extend out like they are supposed to. I cut the leg posts 22 inches long so the 1 - 2x2 was still plenty. The two headboards made the bottom bed and the two foot boards made the top bed. I also had to cut the width of the bed frame a bit narrower because it was too wide but that was no biggie. My countersink bit broke so it was just screwed together and glued together and I used the kreg jig to attach the frame to the corner posts. It took me all day to build this but I got it done in time to send it home with her. Her momma is gonna help her paint it soon. Hubby cut the plywood bases just before they left to go home so I didn't get a FINAL shot of it but this still shows what it looks like finished. I've also got to dig out my sewing machine too and sew the mattresses and mail them to her. She is so excited about her Christmas present from Auntie ShellShell and I was really excited to be able to make her something as unique and special as this.



2 comments: